Monday, November 1, 2010

Great Migrations

National Geographic is branching out and hosting a whole new t.v. special called Great Migrations where this series follows different animals across the planet and film their migration battles.
I've been working a little bit on the education side of Great Migrations - mostly going through footage and determining whether or not it could be used for education.
From what I've been told it is like Planet Earth (I've never seen it) but better (obviously we're biased) not because of the footage but the story. Which, even though the opinion is biased its a compelling argument.
I do not know much (at all) about film, photography, etc., but from what I can tell everything is beautiful! Between watching the growth process of the monarch butterfly, a zebra stomping on a cheetah, or being utterly disgusted by the elephant seals matting rituals - everything is fascinating and I keep wishing for more clips to go through.
I could do without the death scenes, especially when babies are taken down, but it all just makes me want to go explore!
Actually, I have no desire to ever go to Africa...but I would really like to go to the Falkland Islands and Christmas Island, and see the monarchs semi-hibernate in Mexico.
It is pretty exciting being an Intern at NGS this fall - everything seems to be exciting and kicking off and brand new. The excitement helps keep my homesickness (or rather Mainesickness) at bay.
Even though I love being here, I'm ready for classes again...or at least to be off my butt for the majority of the day and not in front of a computer screen. It's crazy how some nights I just get sucked into sitting at my computer and watching t.v. after being in front of a screen all day.
I wonder if there is some kind of connection that could be made about the migrations our ancestors once made and the internal cues we listen to now. Programming based on what we need to survive...we don't need computers to survive but that's how a lot of our information is gained...tangent that I do not have a whole lot of time to ponder (at least not this second).

Great Migrations is great and airs Sunday November 7th at 8pm on the National Geographic Channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment